Pittsburgh Steelers have signed former New England Patriots RB LeGarrette Blount. His contract is a 2 year deal worth $3.8 Million and with a signing bonus of $950, 000. Blount was with the Patriots for a year and was an exceptional player in some games last season, such as against the Buffalo Bills where he has 189 yards and scoring 2 Touchdowns. (Wikipedia.com).
he is definitely a plus to the offense running game.
BBQ Pork ribs
Saturday night had a taste for some BBQ now it is too col outside, plus I have never used a grill (too scsred too lol) s decide my first attempt would be to try it in the oven.
Now I thought it would be simple.. but buying the ribs took me about 20 mins due to fat, name, weight and what looked edible to me. Of course I had to use sweet baby rays that has to be one of the best bbq sauces ever.
Now sine it was my first time attempting ribs I followed a recipe which did not ask for slow cookers.. this recipe was simple, easy and did not call for pricey spices.
Baked Barbecue Ribs
Prep Time: 5 min.
Cook Time: 2 hours
1 pack of baby back pork ribs
3 cloves of garlic, minced
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Garlic powder, to taste
Onion powder, to taste
Paprika, to taste
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with tin foil (for easier clean up).
Remove the silverskin membrane from the back of the ribs. See how to do it here. Spread the minced garlic evenly over both sides of the ribs. Season, to taste, with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika evenly over both sides of the ribs. Place the seasoned ribs on a large piece of foil then top with another piece of foil and roll all of the edges to make a sealed packet. Place on the baking sheet and into the oven and bake for 1 hour.
Carefully, open the tin foil packed ribs then slather with your favorite barbecue sauce. Place back into the oven, unwrapped, for another hour. Remove from the oven and place on a cutting board. Let them rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing them and serving. Enjoy.
The recipes site is http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2013/03/baked-barbecue-ribs-2.html
Now I had to double the foil because it kept tearing and substituted powdered garlic for minced garlic and diced onion for powdered onions.
Served it with homemade potato salad, bushes baked beans, and Hawaiian rolls.
Heres the final plate
Free Agency 3.15.2014
Back on my free agency posts, today was a semi busy day due to it being a Saturday (actually thought it would be relatively quiet but I guess trades and signings do not stop for anything despite it being the weekend
(sanders agent negotiated terms with Tampa bay and Kansas city. BUT sanders signs with broncos accused of bad negotiating. Sanders and agent have not made a comment .
Mike Mitchell the Steelers new safety in an interview with max power he states he feels welcome and as a kid was a Bengals fan and was afraid of the Steelers but the Steelers are a great fit for him and the AFC North is a physical division.
So Giants get a one-year deal done with former Seahawks CB Walter Thurmond; still scheduled to meet today with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.
Patriots and WR Julian Edelman just reached agreement,will return to New England as well as Brandel La Fell who was WR from panthers and lastlt Darrell Revis.
Browns agreed to terms with former Texans RB Ben Tate on a two-year deal.
Julius Peppers has agreed signed a deal worth 3 years with the Green Bay Packers.
Arian foster is back he has been medically cleared after last seasons injury
Anthony Spencer visiting Giants, not Rams, on Sunday
Seahawks keep kicker Steven Hauschka for three more years
Brandon Weeden gets 2 yr deal $2.1M guarantees on his deal with the Browns.
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie signs with the giants
Eagles give Nate Allen a 1-yr, $2M deal .
Cotchery stays in charlotte overnight making fans now wonder if there is a deal with panthers but returns without a contract which was sort of a sigh of relief.
MJD leaves Pittsburgh as Steelers and player could not come to agreement
Cam newton to undergo ankle surgery but will be ready for the season.
Cotchery and Panthers sign a deal supposedly worth $6mill for 3 years
I have been on various sports pages, various new reporters and this is the information on free agency had some major and minor signings as well as releases, I will name the signings and trades which will make an impact to the next season as well as the teams.
Former Steelers players: DE Ziggy Hood was signed by Jacksonville Jaguars.
· LB Lamarr Woodley signed with the Oakland Raiders for $12 Million, 2 year contract. Woodley is going to a team who are unfortunately is not relevant in their division which is controlled by Denver and recently Kansas City. I wish him the best for him though.
· LB James Harrison was cut by Cincinnati Bengals after just one year, this was freeing $1.43 Million in cap space. This was not a huge surprise due to last season’s injury and his lack of performance. There are some who say that he should return to the Steelers but I do not see that happening plus similar to Clark I believe it is time for Harrison to reign in the towel and retire.
· WR Emmanuel Sanders visited with Jacksonville Jaguars and met with Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
· DL Cam Thomas to interview with Pittsburgh Steelers tomorrow.
· S Mike Mitchell has signed with the Steelers
Now onto the rest of NFL Free Agency
· Former Broncos WR Eric Decker had signed a deal worth $36.25M for 5 year to the New York Jets
· Darelle Revis was signed with the New England Patriots for $12 million one year deal.
· The main news which surprised me was LB Darren Sproiles who was traded by New Orleans Saints to Philadelphia Eagles for the 5th round pick, which in my opinion is a devalue of Sproiles but the Eagles are making moves to be relevant competitors in NFC East as well as NFC.
· WR Steve Smith was released by the Carolina Panthers but there is word that the Baltimore Ravens are interested in picking him up.
· DT Vince Wilfork asking to be released from New England Patriots states he will not restructure his contract.
· DE Justin Tuck has signed with the Oakland Raiders for $11 Million, 2 year deal.
· San Diego Chargers have signed QB Clemmons to a 2 Year deal it is unknown the amount.
· DL Jason Hatcher is reportedly signing with Washington Redskins
· Tackle Roger Saffold was to sign with Oakland Raiders but failed his physical and resigned with St Louis Rams
Raiders seem to be the main team moving forward in regard to signing players.
Steelers as usual are a team who are silent on who they sign plus who they sign are normally no big names or they await the draft season.
Banana Pudding IV
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed
1 (5 ounce) package instant vanilla
3 cups cold milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped
4 bananas, sliced
1/2 (12 ounce) package vanilla wafers
|1.||In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in condensed milk, pudding mix, cold milk and vanilla until smooth. Fold in 1/2 of the whipped topping.|
|2.||Line the bottom of a 9×13 inch dish with vanilla wafers. Arrange sliced bananas evenly over wafers. Spread with pudding mixture. Top with remaining whipped topping. Chill.|
Grandma’s Corn Bread Dressing
1 (16 ounce) package dry corn bread mix
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 small onion
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons dried sage
salt and pepper to taste
|1.||Prepare the dry corn bread mix according to package directions. Cool and crumble.|
|2.||Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9×13 inch baking dish.|
|3.||In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the celery and onion until soft.|
|4.||In a large bowl, combine the celery, onions, 3 cups crumbled corn bread, eggs, chicken stock, sage and salt and pepper to taste; mix well.|
|5.||Place into prepared dish and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes|
it is reported that Lamarr Woodley will be released on the first day of Free Agency. This is not really a shock as many felt after last seasons injury Woodley would not continue with the team.
Ike Taylor has taken to Twitter and states that he has struck a deal with the Steelers to continue playing with the team
With no football offseason underway. I cook bigger meals and because my appetite appears and disappears it reappeared today, so I decided ham!!! but what would I do with ham..best thing when I don’t know what goes I go onto my favorite (well the most budget friendly and simple) recipe site. Allrecipes.com
Partial menu mash potato and ham with corn on the cob so to go along with this i found two recipes I thought would be perfect to add to the Sunday meal.
Cornbread dressing and to add little sugar and sweetness banana pudding. I will post both recipes with my review if they are worth making again.
Started this blog about my two favorite things : Steelers football and cooking. I love baking as well as cooking up new dishes. There will be more posts to come